Let us first see what is hosting, Hosting means store (a website or other data) on a server or other computer so that it can be accessed over the internet. to serve a website over internate you need to host it on the server. which is connected to the internet 24/7,so that its accessible anytime.
You can create your own server but it will require to keep your server running continuously and should always have active internet connection. You need to configure your server according to your need. As from this you might be aware that managing your own server is not so easy task. thats why the web hosting services comes into picture. Web soting services reffers to the service that allows individuals and organizations to make their website accessible via the World Wide Web. There are many web hosting companies often called as Wb Host which offers their hosting services with varriety of plans. You can choose the plan according to your need. For example if your website is simple and dont need to store more data like images/videos then you can buy a smaller plan else if you have need bigger data storage then you can choose a plan which will provide you enough resources.
Types of Hosting:
There are mainly 2 types of hosting based on operating system used for servers. They are:
- Linux Hosting
- Windows Hosting.
You can choose one according to your requirement, ie which environment you need depends on which technology you use for designing your website. The most popular hosting now a days is Linux as its bit cheaper and is much versatile. But if you need to host a website developed in .net or windows based technology then you must buy a windows server.
The other classification is based on the plans, they can be listed as:
- Shared Hosting : One’s website is placed on the same server as many other sites, ranging from a few sites to hundreds of websites. Typically, all domains may share a common pool of server resources, such as RAM, CPU, HDD. The features available with this type of service can be quite basic and not flexible in terms of software and updates. Resellers often sell shared web hosting and web companies often have reseller accounts to provide hosting for clients.
- Virtual Private Servers (V.P.S.) : divides server resources into virtual servers, where resources can be allocated in a way that does not directly reflect the underlying hardware. that is you are on the same server on which many others are hosted but unlike shared hosting you are alocated some fixed server resources for example 2GB RAM, 1 core of CPU, 100GB HDD
- Dedicated Server Hosting: he user gets his or her own Web server and gains full control over it (user has root access for Linux/administrator access for Windows); however, the user typically does not own the server.
- Managed Hosting: The user gets his or her own Web server but is not allowed full control over it (user is denied root access for Linux/administrator access for Windows)
- Cloud Hosting: This is a new type of hosting platform that allows customers powerful, scalable and reliable hosting based on clustered load-balanced servers and utility billing. That means you are billed as per your usage.
- Reseller Hosting: Allows clients to become web hosts themselves. You can sell the hosting to your customers. This can be any type of above hosting services like Shared Hosting, VPS hosting, Dedicated Servers etc.
Linux Hosting vs Windows Hosting
If you ask me or any professional he will suggest to use a linux hosting rather than Windows, beacuse of may features and tools available and the most importantly most of them are free of cost. You might be aware that Linux is an open source OS, and you don’t need to pay for installing linux on server (may incur cost for support). Unlike linux Windows is a paid OS offered by Microsoft, for installation of windows OS one needs to get a valid lenience copy. Also the maximum tools used for web server to run are paid. So obviously it makes the windows Hosting costlier than Linux. Windows is the most popular operating system in the world, however, it is not nearly as popular for web servers as Linux..nothing is perfect, just you need to decide based on your requirement.
However there are some cons of using linux is that its operating is somehow complex and requires more expertise, including working with the command line and manually editing configuration files as compared to windows. Some of its versions don’t come with long term support. Linux hosting is not compatible with windows applications, and its important to decide if you need a website based on windows applications.
At last we can conclude that nothing is perfect, just you need to decide based on your requirement.
You can type in comments if you have any query regarding hosting your site.