All about domain names.
A domain name is a keyword used as a shortcut to access a website. Domain names consist of two parts. The first is the name of a website, company, or organization. The second is the domain name extension. For example, Facebook.com
When someone strives for his online presence, he needs to own a domain name. This domain name will help the audiences to reach the exact entity. It would be best if you bought a domain name that is easy to spell and pronounce. Hence, it will help the audience remember it. When they type the domain name in the web browser, they will reach your website quickly. There are different types of domains. You may get confused while choosing a domain name for your website. Here is the guide to select a domain name.
Domain and Sub Domain:
A domain is a website address which a user purchases from the domain registry. While a subdomain is a subset of a particular domain. A domain user creates the subdomain. It contains a specific domain name.
For example, WordPress.com is a domain. Its subdomains may include Cricblog.wordpress.com/.
Choosing a domain name:
While choosing a domain name to purchase, you need to read the following guides.
- Choose a domain name that is easy to type and easy to pronounce. So that, your visitors may tell their friends about your website. Thus, they should not hesitate to pronounce your website domain name.
- Choose a domain name that includes your brand name. Consequently, your website will get a professional look and will attract more traffic to your website.
- You must choose a domain name that is clear from numbers, hyphens, or other symbols. As it makes the domain challenging to remember.
- Your domain names should have a shorter number of characters. So, it will be easily typed and spelled correctly.
- Avoid the use of double letters in your domain name. It will lead to a miss-spelling of your domain name. Hence, you will lose traffic.
- When you are registering your domain, research for domains that have similar names. It may lead your website visitor to lead astray.
Types of domains:
To sum up, there are two types of domains.
Generic top-level domains:
These are based on the generic of something. They may include the following extensions.
.com extension: You can use this extension for commercial websites. (google.com)
.org extension: You can use this extension for organization’s websites. (nts.org)
.edu extension: You can use this extension for educational websites. (vu.edu)
.net extension: You can use this extension for networking websites. (Microsoft.net)
.gov extension: You can use this extension for government websites. (Punjab.gov)
.mil extension: You can use this extension for military websites. (army.mil)
.info extension: This extension specifies information sector. (Info.info)
Country code top-level domain names:
Country code top-level domains are country or region-specific. These websites use the following extensions.
.in extension: This extension specifies Indian region.
.us extension: This extension specifies United States region.
.pk extension: This extension specifies Pakistani region.
.cn extension: This extension specifies China region.
.ae extension: This extension species Arab Emirates region.
.af extension: This extension specifies Afghanistan region.
Buying Domain Names:
When you have decided to buy a domain, you must keep some points in mind.
- Register your domain with a reliable register.
- Use every possible method to find the best domain for your website. You must conduct proper research. So, that you can come up with a unique and easy name.
- While registering your domain, provide the correct information in the required form field. This information will be saved in the registrar database.
To sum up, you have got enough knowledge of domain names and their registration process. So, now you can easily choose a domain name that suits your website and then, register it. I hope the information was useful for you.